Seeking Part-time Program Assistant in Mumbai
Sahiyo began more than two years ago as a conversation between five women who felt strongly about the ritual of female genital cutting (khatna) in the Bohra community. As our collaboration grew, we realized the need for an organised, informed forum within the community that could help drive a movement to bring an end to khatna. That is how Sahiyo, the organization, was born.
Sahiyo is dedicated to empowering Asian communities to end female genital cutting (FGC) and create positive social change through dialogue, education, and collaboration based on community involvement.By working towards an FGC-free world, we aim to recognize and emphasize the values of consent and a child’s/woman’s right over her own body. We aim to enable a culture in which female sexuality is not feared or suppressed but embraced as normal.
Sahiyo is the Bohra Gujarati word for ‘saheliyo’, or friends, and reflects our organization’s mission to engage in dialogue with the community to find a collective solution towards ending the practice of FGC or khatna.
We are currently looking for an individual to commit to 30 hours per month for 7 months (August 1, 2017 until March 31, 2018) as a Program Assistant. This position is a great opportunity for someone to work with the founders of an internationally-recognized organization, and learn how organizations develop from the ground up. If interested, please submit a cover letter and CV/resume to email@example.com. As Sahiyo continues to grow, we hope to be able to continue this paid position through future grants.
Please note that the candidate is expected to be able to work independently/remotely, and communicate regularly with Sahiyo Cofounders.
The administrative assistant should:
- Be comfortable coordinating logistics for events, including hiring of vendors, scouting event locations, assisting with writing MOUs/Contracts for Vendors, managing volunteers.
- Be able to write relevant and insightful content for reporting requirements, including collating feedback for events, writing events descriptions for social media, newsletter, and grant reporting.
- Be able to carry out basic financial management tasks, including reviewing budget, managing bills, keeping track of expenses, submit and reconcile expenses reports.
- Be familiar with social media platforms such Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, WordPress, Google+ and basic social media management.
- Be able to liaison with contractors, vendors, supervisors on a regular basis via email, phone, at the time of any onsite activity, and in person regularly.
- Other related tasks as deemed necessarily
- Be able to travel locally for events and other logistical meetings/tasks
- Hardworking, driven, energetic, results-oriented and independent
- Adhere to Sahiyo’s mission, vision, and values
- Desire to learn about FGC, with a focus on engaging with the community in a sensitive manner
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
To view pdf of Job Description, click Program Assistant Job Description.