Part-time Communication Assistant in the United States
SAHIYO, an award-winning, transnational organization is dedicated to empowering Asian communities to end female genital cutting (FGC) and create positive social change through dialogue, education, and collaboration based on community involvement. By working towards an FGC-free world, we aim to recognize and emphasize the values of consent and a child’s/woman’s right over her own body. We aim to enable a culture in which female sexuality is not feared or suppressed but embraced as normal. For more read, about Sahiyo’s storytelling and our history.
We are looking for a Communications Assistant to provide administrative support on various programs and projects. Editing and writing Sahiyo materials will be an important part of your job. In this role, you should be an excellent communicator with strong attention to detail. If you also have administrative and social media marketing experience, we’d like to meet you.
Sahiyo works transnationally, but this 22 hour per month position, ideal for students, will be for someone who can primarily support U.S. programming. As the position is virtual, the Communication Assistant can be located anywhere within the U.S. but must be comfortable with working independently and remotely.
As Sahiyo continues to grow, we hope to grow this role for the right person. In the meantime, it is a great opportunity for you to work with the founders of an internationally-recognized organization, and learn how organizations develop from the ground up.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams
- Draft and edit communications (e.g. program reports, grant reports, social media posts)
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies
- Facilitate effective internal communications
- Support logistical coordination of Sahiyo programs and events as needed
- Proven experience as a Communications Assistant or similar role
- Understanding of media relations and digital media strategies
- Proficient in Google Docs, MS Office; familiarity with design software (e.g. Canva, Photoshop, InDesign) and content management systems is a plus,
- Experience with Excel and data manipulation is a plus
- Solid editing and researching skills
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Ability to multitask on different projects
- Strong attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- Experience working in the field of gender violence, FGM/C, or related field.
- Experience working with a variety of different cultures
Please send a resume and cover letter to Ms. Mariya Taher at email@example.com no later than Wednesday, August 1st, 2018. The email subject line should state “Application: Communications Assistant.”
To view a pdf version of this job description, click here.