The name Bhaiyo exists as a mirror to Sahiyo. Sahiyo is the Bohra Gujarati word for ‘saheliyo’ (female friends), and Bhaiyo means male friends, or brothers.
Our mission is to work with Sahiyo, survivors, and community members to raise awareness of female genital cutting (FGC) in Asian and other communities and support efforts to create a social norm shift towards ending FGC. We aim to create a space where male allies can come together to collaborate, spark dialogue, and spread information about this form of gender-based violence and it’s harmful impacts.
Aims and Objectives
- To provide love, support, and community towards the advocates and survivors working to end FGC.
- To generate resources to support our international allies and raise awareness of FGC through:
- Community outreach education events
- Online webinar and town halls
- Role-played conversation and produced sketches/shorts
- International partnerships programs such as exchange/mission trips to capture groundwork and outreach happening abroad.
- To engage communities at the grassroot level to address and build awareness of the cultural, economic, and emotional consequences of FGC.
Would you like to be a Bhaiyo? Submit an application here.
Please contact Sahiyo with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org