More and more Bohras are speaking out against the practice of khatna, or female circumcision, in the media, in blogs, on social media and, most importantly, among their friends and families. We are no longer voiceless, and we will no longer be faceless.
We believe that a girl’s clitoris should not be cut or sliced or pricked in any way, we believe that no one has a right to control a woman’s sexuality, we believe every individual has a right over their own bodies. And we are now saying this through photographs.
Join Sahiyo’s “I am a Bohra” photo campaign and tell the world why you would like the community to stop practicing female khatna. The process is simple:
- Write up a sign or placard saying “I am a Bohra. I oppose khatna because…[insert your reason]
- If you’re not Bohra, write up a sign saying “I oppose khatna because…”
- Pose with the sign, click a photo!
- Post the photo on Sahiyo’s Facebook timeline or tweet it to @sahiyo2016 or e-mail it to email@example.com.
- (Make it your profile picture too, if you like!)
Here are some possible reasons you could cite for opposing khatna:
- because you cannot cut a part of me without my consent
- because no one has a right over MY body
- I have a right over my own sexuality
- my body is not yours to tamper with
- I am fine the way God made me
- my sexual desires do not need “moderation”
- children should never be subjected to pain
- because I love my body the way that it is
- it is against Human Rights
- I’m opposed to female khatna or khafd because I’m happy with my God given sexuality
Disclaimer: Please note that participation in this campaign does not necessarily mean that the participant has undergone Khatna or FGC. We are asking all those who support an end to the practice of FGC (regardless of their gender) to show their support by taking part in this campaign. We are NOT asking anyone who participates in this campaign to disclose whether or not they have undergone it.